Jody Martinez enters his 16th season at the helm of the Bethel women’s basketball program with an overall record of 372- 161
Martinez is a fierce competitor both on and off the court and he expects his team to play like he did in college: hard-nosed with a desire to be the best. As a player in the late 80’s, Martinez was dubbed "The Definition of Bethel Basketball," and finished his playing career not only with outstanding individual statistics and accolades but with a great deal of team successes. As a player, his teams won 110 games compared to only 36 losses in his four years. Individually, he finished his four years as the career leader in points (2,620/currently 3rd), rebounds (1,728/1st), blocks (197/2nd), steals (182/10th), field goal percentage (59.8%/2nd), and games played (146/8th).
Upon graduation, he played professional basketball for a brief summer before returning to school to get his teaching certification in the fall of 1991. During this time, he assisted Coach Mike Lightfoot and the men's team as they won two NCCAA National Championships (1992 & 1993).
After completing his requirements for secondary education, Martinez coached five years of high school boys' basketball before being asked to return to Bethel in 1998 to head up the Lady Pilot Basketball program. In his first year on the bench the program recorded their best season to date. The Lady Pilots won 20 games in that first year as well as made their first trip to the NCCAA National Tournament.
Martinez’s Pilot Profile:
- NCCAA National Championships in 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2010 & 2011
- NAIA National Tournament Qualifiers in 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012 & 2013
- NAIA Elite Eight Finishes in 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008 & 2013
- NAIA Sweet Sixteen Finish in 2009
- NCCAA National Coach of the Year in 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2010 & 2011
- NAIA Scholar Team in 06-07, 07-08, 08-09, 10-11 & 12-13
- Conference Champions in 2001, 2008 & 2009
- Conference Tournament Champions in 2008
- Conference Coach of the Year in 2001, 2008, 2009 & 2012
- 15 Striaght 20+ Win Seasons
- Highest National Ranking in Program History in 2007 (NAIA No.3)
- Program's First Victory over NAIA No. 1 Ranked Team (2/9/13 over IWU)
Player Accolades under Coach Martinez:
- 2 NCCAA National Player of the Year Awards
- 1 Kathy Freese Player Award
- 15 NAIA All-Americans (3 – First Team, 5 – Second Team, 1 – Third Team, 6 – Honorable Mention)
- 23 NCCAA All-Americans (13 – First Team, 5 – Second Team, 5 – Honorable Mention)
- 1 Arthur Ashe Jr. Sport Scholar Academic All-American
- 1 Co-SIDA Academic All-American
- 42 NAIA Scholar-Athletes
- 51 NCCAA Scholar-Athletes
- 6 NAIA Champions of Character Award Recipients
- 6 NCCAA National Tournament MVP Recipients
- 5 NAIA National Tournament All-Tournament Selections (2 – First Team, 3 – Second Team)
- 16 NCCAA National Tournament All-Tournament Selections
- 2 NAIA National Players of the Week
- 4 Conference Players of the Year
- 2 Conference Freshman of the Year
- 2 Conference New-comers of the Year
- 48 All-Conference Selections
- 27 Conference Players of the Week (2006-present)
In addition to his coaching role with the women’s basketball team, Martinez heads into his 3rd full year as the Bethel College athletic director.
Coach Martinez and his wife, Sonya, live in Mishawaka with their daughters, Hannah and Josalyn.